Skip to main content

Communication Through Music

One of my favorite quotes is a quote by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. The quote states that "music is the universal language of mankind." To me this quote means that no matter what language you speak, music is always there to unite people.

This summer I went to my first music festival and I met people from all over the world. From California to Spain to many other places, people gathered to enjoy the music. One girl that I met from Spain told me that she didn’t always understand what the songs were saying since her native language is Spanish. I asked her why she came to music festival where she couldn't understand everything that people were saying and she responded saying, it’s not always about the lyrics, but sometimes it’s about the feeling. Her response really spoke to me.

Music is a way of expressing yourself, whether it be from the lyrics or melody. It is also a way of telling a story or communicating with others. An article by The English Magazine reminded me that years ago music was mostly used for communication rather than pleasure. People used to use music to tell others that it was time to go to a religious ceremony. At events like weddings or funerals, music was used to convey certain emotions like love or sadness. Even today people use music to communicate their feelings or to express certain ideas. Some of the most common emotions that are communicated through music are love and sadness, just like they were thousands of years ago. 

Going back to my point about the girl that I met from Spain. She wasn’t just there because she liked the music, she was there because it made her feel connected. It made her feel connected to the artists, the people enjoying the festival and even the workers. Why? Because when a happy song comes on, music has a way of communicating that emotion to hundreds and thousands of other people. 

Comments